Sunday, September 29, 2013

Nattadavu Step 8 | Bharatanatyam Adavu | Natyakriya Episode 13

* If you are new to Bharatanatyam, I urge you to start from the beginning.
* If you haven't learned the previous steps of Nattadavu, click here & here.

Nattadavu is the 2nd set of steps (or ADAVU) in Bharatanatyam. Following the 6th step of Nattadavu, we move on to the 7th step.
The sollukattu (सोल्लुकट्टु) or Rhythmic syllables of is - Thaiyyum That Tha Thaiyyum Thaam

Here is the video tutorial -

How to do Nattadavu 8th step - Step by step instructions -

I. Leg Movements

  1. Begin by sitting in Aramandi
  2. Lift you RIGHT LEG imagining the heel is touching your behind and place the heel in front of your body. {count 1}
  3. Hit the LEFT LEG in same position. {count 2}
  4. Lift RIGHT LEG and place the TOES behind the LEFT LEG {count 3}
  5. Hit LEFT LEG in same position {count 4}
  6. Bring BOTH your legs together by doing a small jump standing straight {count 5}
  7. Hit LEFT LEG in same position {count 6}
  8. Lift RIGHT LEG and cross it over LEFT thigh {count 7}
  9. Bring RIGHT LEG down and sit in Muzhumandi {count 8}
{This was the RIGHT SIDE of the step. Repeat the same in Left Side too}

II. Hand Movements

  1. Begin by placing both hands in front of your chest in Katakamukha hand gesture
  2. As RIGHT LEG moves forward, bend down from hip, stretch both hands in Alapadma and take RIGHT HAND down to right toes while lifting up the LEFT HAND such that you form a straight line vertically. (both hands together should look like this - |)
  3. Hit LEFT LEG in same position as (2)
  4. While taking RIGHT LEG behind LEFT LEG, take RIGHT HAND above to where the LEFT hand is and catch the LEFT INDEX FINGER with RIGHT HAND.
  5. Hit LEFT LEG in same position as (4)
  6. Bring both hands to the side at shoulder level in Katakamukha while doing the jump.
  7. Hit LEFT LEG in same position as (6)
  8. While crossing RIGHT leg over LEFT leg, cross your hands in front of your chest in Alapadma getsure
  9. Stretch both hands out to side at shoulder level in Pataka gesture (palms facing down) and sit in Muzhumandi.
{This was the RIGHT SIDE of the step. Repeat the same in Left Side too}

Notes

  1. Do the step in 3 speeds

Hand Gestures Used in this step are -

source: Katakamukha
source: Alapadma
source: Pataka

If you have any doubts, don't hesitate to leave a comment down below here or on my YouTube channel. Make sure you SUBSCRIBE to the YouTube channel to get regular updates whenever I post a new video

4 comments:

  1. why there is no videos for past 1week? My personal suggestion, is u sit more in araimandi position, so that kids who learn also will follow it..otherwise they also tend to stand and do it..Thanks for ur videos..i follow yours regularly

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Anonymous - If you had left a name, I could have addressed you. :) Thank you for your feedback. Yes, I know my Aramandi is not good. But that's coz I recently recovered from a leg injury and I shot these about a month back when I was just starting out with the practice. I never meant to start posting videos so soon. I took a year long break due to which my stamina, flexibility & fitness went for a toss. But I knew I wouldn't feel motivated to start again unless I did something like this on a public platform. When I see the bad videos, I am forced to work on rebuilding my fitness. I do intend to repost everything as soon as I'm in a good form. :)

    And like I said, I only have a bank of videos that I'm posting now. I knew they weren't so great so I decided to wait until I got better to shoot some more videos. So I can only post about 1 or 2 videos a week.

    Thank you for watching. I appreciate your feedback and yes, I will definitely work on Aramandi (although those videos may only start in early 2014) :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think your videos are informative. Yes, you need to work on your dance but that's okay! It's fun to watch :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This helped me practice 4 my test thank you

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your feedback!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...