Friday, May 17, 2013

Sequence of Bharatanatyam Adavus (steps) | How to learn Bharatanatyam from the basics

source
That it takes practice and patience to ace at any art form is a known fact. This fact is especially true for Bharatanatyam. It is believed that at least 6-7 years of rigorous training is required to even ascend the stage (Arangetram) and many more years to give commendable performances. But in this time and age, I find a lot of people looking to accelerate the learning process by skipping the basics. In fact, I was once asked by a mother, "if my daughter can directly learn a hip hop dance number, why can't she learn a Bharatanatyam dance item?". It is a valid question.
source
What people fail to understand is that Bharatanatyam is a very technical dance form. Imagine you start teaching your kid how to read a story without even teaching him/her the basic alphabets? That is what these basics steps are. The alphabets that you need to learn (well) in order to learn the more advanced dances. I cannot ball park the number of years it will take to finish learning these basics (as there are a lot). It entirely depends on the student's capabilities and the regularity with which he/she practices.

Adavus are steps that are combined to form a dance sequence in Bharatanatyam. They are done in synchronization with the sollu kattu (bol) or the syllables used. An adavu is a combination of -

  1. Sthaanam (Position of the legs)
  2. Mandalam (Position of standing)
  3. Chaari (Movement)
  4. Nritta hasta (Hand gestures)
I've outlined the sequence of these steps. Generally, when you join a Bharatanatyam class, this is how your class will proceed. Adavus are just basic steps taught in Bharatanatyam. Please note that depending upon the style and your Guru, the list and the steps in each adavu may differ slightly. 

List of Adavus -
No.
Name of the Adavu
Alternative Name
Number of steps
Wordings (sollu kattu)
1
Thatta Adavu
Thai thai thaam
8
Thaiyya Thai
2
Natta Adavu
-
8
Thaiyyum That Tha
Thaiyyum Thaam
3
Visharu Adavu
Mardita Adavu,
Paraval Adavu,
Pakka Adavu
8
Ta Tai Tai Ta
Dhit Tai Tai Ta
4
Ta Thai Tha Ha

5
That thai thaa haa
Dhit thai thaa haa
5
Kudhitta Metta Adavu
Gudittha Mettu,
Kutta Adavu
5
Thai ha thai hi
6
Sutral Adavu
Murka Adavu
4
That thai thaam
Dhit thai thaam
7
Yatta Adavu

2
That thai thaam
Dhit thai thaam
8
Mandi Adavu

3
Thaangidu that tha dhinna
9
Paidhal Adavu

5
Dhit thai tha thaa thai
10
Sarikal Adavu

4
Thai ya thai hi
11
Pancha Jati Adavu
Thattu Mettu
5
Different for different jatis
12
Teermanam Adavu

2
Dhit dhit thai,
Tha dhin gina thom,
thari kita thom
13
Others

3
 differs


























In the coming days, I will be talking about each step and uploading videos  for the same.

25 comments:

  1. Hi Kavitha, it's wonderful that you're sharing your knowledge of Bharatanatyam through your blog. Like you, I'm a bharatanatyam fanatic. :))
    Being a doctor by profession I never had enough time to dedicate to my first love, dance. Now I'm looking to brush up my basics.
    I found the list of Adavus informative, and it would be fantastic if you could load demos of the same. Looking forward to your future posts and thanks a lot for the previous ones.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ashima,
      Thank you so so much for your kind words! :-) I'm finishing up with some exams at my end. I'll definitely start making video demos soon, I promise! :) I'll launch the webisodes by July end.

      Meanwhile, read and soak in the "theory" :D

      Love,
      Kavitha

      Delete
  2. Can u please exlain the style,steps,sequence for my class project it would be soo nice and it seems there is no information on this topic .

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi thanks for sharing...by the way currently I m doing research on adavu where in the beginning stage itself I find difficult to list down the adavu names in proper order.like sarukal adavu some use the solkatthu like tai ya thai n other use total mulumandi to perform it. There is no proper standard in all bani. I personally believe this will lead to extinction of some adavu in the future. I read in one dance book where there was 25 mandi adavu 100 years ago but sadly now only 2 type is widely practice in all over world.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey,

      Wow, I had no idea there were 25 mandi adavus!! It'll be great to find and revive them. I'd love to discuss more about your research. Sadly, you haven't left your name or email id. If you ever read this again, do contact me and we can discuss further :)

      Delete
  4. Hi Kavitha ,
    I am a beginner and I have just learnt thatta adavu steps 1 & 2 . but I want to learn dance for song ekdantaya vakratunday by shankar mahadevan .Can you help by answering my nsome questions:
    1) which adavus can be performed in this song?
    2)Is any specific choreography needed for this song i.e. professional dance teacher etc.?
    3)Can I learn those adavus And all in 1 year from your post videos?

    Please reply at your earnest.

    Thanks,
    Hanvi

    ReplyDelete
  5. hi,
    kavita
    m very happy after watching ur video i had kid name yashaswini(7)she very interested in bharatanatya so ll be her guru as dronacharya pls

    ReplyDelete
  6. @divya yashaswini - Please send an email to contactnatyakriya (at) gmail (dot) com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. to send my child to classes her is nt willing to send so through ur videos i ll teach her ll u guide if i get any doughts pls
      divyayashaswini@gmail.com

      Delete
  7. @divya - you can follow videos from my youtube channel.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This was cool !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hlo mam this s me habiya, I'd like to learn bharathanatyam , my age s 18 , m i able to learn it now??

    ReplyDelete
  10. @Habiya - yes of course!! Any age is okay!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank u mam !! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. hello maam i'm a guy who's very fanatic about bharatnatyam..
    i have some doubts.
    is there any particular age that is assigned to learn bharathnatyam?
    i wanted tolearn as soon as possible.
    will it take six months to learn at least basics?
    the thing is i'm scared of my family..
    pls clear my doubt

    ReplyDelete
  13. @Anonymous - There is no "rule" to start dance lessons at a certain age. You can do it whenever you feel you are ready. It takes much longer than 6 months to learn basics. In fact, depending on your capabilities and consistency, it may take anywhere between 1-3 years at least. Why are you scared of your family? If it is your passion, you should do it!

    ReplyDelete
  14. this is very nice,instead can you also add the different bsteps for each adavu and their names and photos.can u also give more illustrations to understand better.
    thanks .your channel has helped me allot in my bharatnatyam project.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Mam,

    I am Priyalakshmi, I had my arangetrum, and Diploma also, I will apply also my MFA. I would like to take classes to other, but i have little scare. Please advise me.
    artofmehendi@gmail.com

    Thanks
    Priyalakshmi

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi Mam,

    This is Geeta and I am 27 year old, I am very much interested in classical dance, I never get a chance to learn it, but now I am planning to join Bharatanatyam classes and learn it. But don't know how effective it will be because so many people will say that Bharatanatyam will take so many years to learn, how much time it takes to learn it as m beginner, I know little bit western dance form.

    Can you please advice whether I could join the classes as this age.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi,

    My name is Ami. I am 30 now. Had studied Bharatanatyam as a child. But then, discontinued it due to health problems. I have slight issues with my knees though (I don't have knee caps: birth defect :|) So I have some knee coordination issues but I would like to learn dance again for the love of it. Would you suggest any video links or any theory based notes that would help me start over again. :) Your help in this regard would be really appreciated. Thank you in advance :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thanks it helped me alot

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hi..i m moutusi..i have a 6yrs old daughter... And c is very interested in classical dance specialy bharatnatyam.... I think ur blog is very helpful for me...but one thing i cant decide yet..i need an experienced bharatnatyam dance teacher..plz help..we live in kharagpur... Thnx in advance

    ReplyDelete
  20. My dream iso want to become a Bharatanatyam dancer. Childhood I couldn't do it due to family issues. Now I am 28 and still my heart dies to learn Bharatanatyam. Is it possible to learn at this age? If yes then help to how to start with? I love to join classes guide me please.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your feedback!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...